I can think of a lot of great things that come in packages of eight: seating for eight (the more the merrier), hot dogs and hot dog buns (thank goodness we don't have to remove any superfluous ones - Father of the Bride anyone?), a large litter of puppies, eight years of marital bliss and this guy, who turns eight years old today!
Before I became a mom, I had no idea how great it would be. I had no idea how impactful, one little life could be. I had no idea, until I met Samuel.
I was the youngest of 3 kids growing up. I know what it's like to be the last to get to do everything (both the perks and the pitfalls) and the strong desire to following in your older siblings footsteps. Having children of my own gives me the opportunity to see what its like to be the oldest now too. It's no wonder that first-borns tend to have leadership qualities as well as nurturing tendencies as younger siblings come into the picture. With that said, I thought I would list some of Samuel's more admirable qualities he has developed in his first 8 years of life (in no particular order):
1. Sam has the biggest heart. This kid is full of compassion, especially for dogs, cats, frogs and fish and any other animal.
2. Sam is a talker. He will tell you a story that goes on and on and on and on....
3. Sam loves dragons. Dragons alone aren't necessarily admirable, but any child that is thinking of dragons to the degree that Sam does is no doubt creative and that is admirable.
4. Sam still lets me hug and kiss him in front of his friends. I am sure he won't allow this much longer, so I am soaking it up.
5. Sam loves being outside. He loves digging in the dirt and making forts in any suitable tree he can find.
6. Sam loves to draw.... dragons (see #3)
7. Sam has a great laugh - hearing him makes me laugh. Every. Single. Time.
8. Sam is an awesome big brother (except when they disagree, then it's each kid for himself, kidding, but seriously, the fighting drives my husband and me mad!)
So on this 16th day in March, we celebrate this little star of ours. Eight years have flown and I know the next 8 will go just as fast. We are so thankful for every bit of you.
Happy Birthday Samuel!
Love what you see and looking for your wedding photographer? Contact me and lets chat!